When writing the being thrifty post the other day I thought this deserved a post of it's own, so here it is!
Point cards.
I love them.
Enough said.lol
If I'm out shopping and asked if I have, or would I like to make a point card, I can't help myself and always say yes.lol
So that means I have a LOT of point cards in my collection!
But the points build up quite easily, and I can't count the number of discounts I've had because of them. 500 yen here and there really does help, and if it's helping to get my budget down, then I'm all for it!
Some places are better value than others though, so whenever I have to buy rice or something expensive, I usually hang on and go when they're having extra points days.
Just another idea for anyone interested!lol



Gosh, I am most definitely the opposite. I HATE point cards with a passion. I don't think the point cards we have ever give us discounts... or if they do, it will take us years and years before we see it!
返信削除The only exception is the point card for the local supermarket. For any pregnant woman or mother who brings their kids shopping, the points are doubled. Which means our card fills up a lot quicker and the discount actually feels like it is in reach :)
My husband loves point cards though and we have one for nearly every single place that offers them, lol!
That's kind of strange...strikes me as being a bit discriminatory that only pregnant women or mothers can get double points!
返信削除No offence to mothers but yeah.. it's like you get rewarded for procreating.
I wish we had point cards that were worth anything over here. :)
I hate them too!! Though I will admit I have a few!! The hairdressers used to give a free haircut after you spent about $300 but now they give you $10-lousey!! The dry cleaners is great value, we usually get 2 or 3 things cleaned free each year and we don't even use it that often.
返信削除Thy're one of those things that you loath but still have !!!
I don`t have that many point cards but I have a few- I use my itoyakado one a lot since that is where I do most of my food shopping and we also use our Yodobashi Camera one a lot...
返信削除Sometimes I can not be bothered to fill in the paperwork though, especially if I am in a hurry so often I could have point cards but I say no.
The itoyakado one gives us about 2000yen worth of points a month...and that really does help a lot when you think about it!
I will be sad when your thrifty posts end Kel...
I love some of my point cards, but others are just annoying. Waon is my favourite right now, as I am trying to save up as many JAL airmiles as possible. It's amazing how many I can get in a month through Saty and Family Mart! Basically only the grocery store ones interest me, I don't shop anywhere else near enough.
返信削除Kelly- in Japan, mothers are the ones who spend all the money so it's smart for grocery stores to try and lure those customers. Plus, most delivery companies give free delivery to pregnant moms and moms of small children, as it is very nice to have 10kg bags of rice delivered rather than walking home with something so heavy while carrying two kids as noted! Smart business choices on the part of the companies, I think.
Not that I ever go shopping with my spogs if I can possibly help it! I'm the one at 9:55pm shopping right before it closes because my husband has just come home to watch them.
medea:
返信削除Thanks for your comment. It really is much appreciated! :)
Waon is another card I have which I forgot to mention so I'm glad you brought it up.
Also, thanks for your input on the delivery companies. I couldn't have put it better myself!lol And I hear you on the late night shopping. Same goes here!
I have a special point card wallet/holder, totally overflowing tho (lol) !!! I always make point cards too, but for the most part, I can't see much value in them. Some are good (there was a supermarket near where we lived a few years ago that had a great point system, always with 5, 10, 30times points on offer and they would give you cash back once you got the points) we also use our Yamada denki point card a lot. But otherwise, it seems to be a bit of a waste of time. Although I did get one free work shirt at the dry cleaners the other day, and we have only been here using them for about 5months so it is better than a slap in the face, right.
返信削除nice title, by the way ;)