2010年2月16日火曜日

DIY gone wrong

Today I have spent absolutely HOURS trying to put a tall (180cm) bookcase together for the kids room. 2 and a half hours to be exact. And then another hour pulling it all apart again!!!
Talk about a job and a half. And to make matters worse, I'm now back to square one. I'm exhausted, with absolutely nothing to show for it!!

Why oh why didn't I just wait til late tonight when S comes home.
I mean, unlike me, he actually likes putting these type of things together.

I thought I would surprise him and do it all by myself (despite the instructions saying it recommended 2 adults to make it, taking about an hour), but hey, how hard could it possibly be? Well I'll tell you, it's pretty damn hard!!!lol

And I now know the reason why you need 2 people. Because it weighs 32 kg, and it is extremely hard to screw things in while trying to keep everything in the right place. And I learnt the hard way too. I now have a swollen eye (which will no doubt be turning into a bruise tomorrow) to prove it!

So, despite all my efforts (and I really did try, honest!) I still have to wait til tonight to see the finished product. And I have to help S remake it!!! Me and my silly ideas...lol

Let me just say now there is absolutely NO WAY I am even going to try putting the double bunks together when they arrive. Famous last words...

6 件のコメント:

  1. Oh, I was thinking that the people from the company who are delivering it would put your bed together for you being Japan and all...

    I hate putting furniture together, all those nuts and bolts and stuff, I always manage to stick them in the wrong hole. Sorry you've had a crap day of it. What a pain to have to do it all over again tonight! Hope it's less pain tonight. :)

    返信削除
  2. ha ha ha you're so funny!!!!
    Your story quickly brought back fond(?) memories of my dad assembling Ikea furniture and complaining about the lack of instructions!! I hope by midnight you have a bookshelf ;)

    返信削除
  3. Ouch - you poor thing. Hopefully your eye didn't bruise too much.

    I hope that S was able to help you get the bookshelf assembled last night without any more accidents :P

    And yeah, the bunk beds are probably best left till you and S can attempt them together!! hehe

    返信削除
  4. The bunk beds arrived this morning, and I haven't gone anywhere near them!

    Definitely a job for S tonight, I think!!lol

    返信削除
  5. Bunk beds aren't so bad - I had more trouble with the bookcase I bought for the storage space upstairs. Unfortunately I measured the inside of the cupboard without factoring in I would have to get the bastard through the door. Put it up in the bedroom and when tried to put into big storage space bit - no go. Had to saw the top off :)

    返信削除
  6. Ha!ha! Wow, you actually had to saw the top off?lol That's so funny, but probably wasn't at the time. And you were right, the bunks were a breeze compared to the bookcase!lol

    返信削除