2010年2月8日月曜日

Beds

Wow a week sure flies by! Must be having too much fun!lol

We went out looking at double bunks yesterday.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what to get, or better still, what not to get?

I saw a couple that didn't look too bad, and not too expensive.
One had space underneath for storage which would be helpful I guess.
Another was lower to the ground, (both top and bottom bunks) so would be easier to change the sheets on the top bunk and not so far to fall, and possibly cooler in summer (for the top bunk)...

Am I thinking too deeply into this? Does the top bunk really get that much hotter in summer?

Decisions, decisions....
If you have bought or used double bunks before I'd love to hear your opinion!!!

7 件のコメント:

  1. I'm interested in hearing people's thought too. We will in the near future have to buy some too. The ones lower to the ground sound better for smaller kids look a bit sturdier. I don't think you are thinking to much because I worry about how strong bunks are in relation to earthquakes! A real possibility around here.

    返信削除
  2. We recently bought bunk beds, but they are separate (in diff. rooms even) at the moment. K is nearly 3, so I don't know when we will even use them as bunks, but....

    We looked at the Ikea beds, but they can't be separated, and they were all actually 90cm wide only.

    We looked at Nitori and Shimachu beds, which are all 100cm wide.
    The nitori beds - all the frames seemed a bit unsteady/cheapy made for the same price as other beds.

    So we settled on a bed from Shimachu, the "low" type (no inbuilt storage), so they wouldn't be too high to get into, but at the same time enough room to fit some storage containers underneath. FWIW, we bought this one: http://www.shimachunet.com/products/detail.php?product_id=514&c=12. It is very sturdy and I am happy with it so far. Also, am glad we got the wider bed (100cm), coz it means that I can get in there with K (which has helped immensly this last week while she was sick!) Couldn't have done that with the Ikea models. Although if we had have gone with Ikea, we could have gotten cheaper mattresses....

    We also have relatively high ceilings, so were not worried about the height, but a friend who got bunks said that the top one is quite close to the roof, so feels a bit claustrophobic for her daughter, so that might be something to think about too.

    Good luck choosing!!

    返信削除
  3. We have bunk beds but like TJ have them in separate rooms at the moment. I am not sure if ours are the low type but we have enough room under them to store the thinnest plastic boxes.

    I am not sure we will ever use ours as bunk beds as I am totally paranoid about accidents happening. What age do they suggest kids can use the top bunk? Liam is almost 5 but I don't think I would be comfortable with him being in one.

    So sorry not much advice but definitely shop around as some seem much sturdier than others. I also like that ours have the little shelf things at the head where you can put books, a clock etc.

    Good luck!

    返信削除
  4. I can't add any advice about getting bunk beds, I'm sorry!! But I am loving the comments because I know that one day in the future we will be getting bunk beds - just because I doubt we would be able to fit 4 kids into an apartment without one, lol!

    返信削除
  5. Thanks for the advice.
    I think we need to look around a lot more, but it really is a hard decision to make...

    返信削除
  6. A bit late here. We got bunk beds last year when the girls were 2 and 4. We looked at many many many but finally went with a really sturdy model we found at a discount furniture shop (with slight nicks and scrapes, but originally expensive). I think it will prove to be sturdier than our (old) house in case of an earthquake. The girls really like it. It has full railing on both bunks, which was good for dd2 as a first bed because she couldn't fall out. And, though I worried a little bit, dd1 was fine climbing down in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Even holding her pillow, because she always comes to our room after her midnight toilet run. They are fairly careful girls though, not the type to jump out, though, I might worry if they were a little more wild. The bed has no storage below but it does have a small reading light and built in bookshelf and drawer on each bunk. This has been wonderful as they both love books. If they wake up early or can't fall asleep they can read quietly in bed or playing with stuffed animals without disturbing the other. If it didn't have the bookshelf and reading light I'm sure they wouldn't have been willing to stay there until they fell asleep. The shelf and light does add 15cm to the length, but well worth it I think!

    返信削除
  7. Thanks for that extra bit of advice Xana. I'll be taking everything people have said into consideration, so any advice really does help. Thanks.

    返信削除