2010年1月22日金曜日

101 things in 1001 days

Thanks to Lulu and others for this idea.
Anyone else want to give it a go too?

I'm going to start from the beginning of February, and I'm not 100% sure if this will be the final line-up but it will be something pretty close.

Start date February 1st, 2010. Finish date October 28th, 2012
The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Blue means completed, italics means in progress.
Items are in no particular order.


KIDS AND FAMILY

1. Make a baby scrapbook for B for the first 2 years of his life.
2. Make a baby scrapbook for A for the first 2 years of her life.
3. Backup (with the help of S) all photos once a month. (0/32)
4. Get pregnant with Baby Number 3.
5. Have baby Number 3.
6. Breastfeed Baby Number 3 for at least a year or until they wish to stop (whichever comes first).
7. Get pregnant with Baby Number 4 (this will of course depend on the timing of Number 3 though).
8. Take the kids home to Australia at least once.
9. Find a pre-school for B from April 2011.
10. Read one book a day to the kids. If I can't do it get S to. (30/1001)
11. Get a passport for Baby Number 3.
12. Tell S and the kids I love them every single day (30/1001)
13. Send at least one pic of each of the kids to my parents once a month. (1/32)
14. Take the kids to the park at least once a week (without S) for 50 weeks (0/50)
15. Make a photo album for both kids (different from the baby books) (0/2)
16. Take the kids to the zoo at least 4 times.(0/4)
17. Take the kids to an aquarium at least once.
18. Do something for every anniversary (1/3)
19. Go somewhere overnight with S without the kids (this has NEVER happened btw!)lol
20. Go on a date with S once every 6 months without the kids (this has never happened either).

COOKING

21. Make a recipe book.
22. Write 30 posts on my blog to do with food. (3/30)
23. Make a meal with my husband once a month. (0/32)
24. Learn how to make something with pastry.
25. Try to make 梅干し.
26. Make a 弁当 for the family and go on a picnic 3 times, complete with plastic sheet and drink bottles (0/3)
27. Make a 弁当 for S at least 8 times a month (except when I'm pregnant). (1/32)
28. Find a recipe that everyone agrees will become our family 唐揚げ (karaage) recipe.
29. Enjoy a cup of herbal or flavoured tea at least once a week for 6 months. (1/6months 4/24 weeks)
30. Try 80 new recipes. (6/80)

31. Learn how to use some of the other functions that are on my oven.
32. Make a Western type meal at least once a month. (1/32)
33. Find a good recipe for chocolate fudge brownies.
34. Learn more about at least 5 different types of tea, how to brew it, and of course taste test them all. (0/5)
35. Make tempura (which surprisingly enough I have never bothered to make myself)

JAPAN/TRAVEL

36. Visit 10 new places in Kyushu. (1/10)
37. Visit 3 prefectures I haven't been to before. (0/3)
38. Visit 10 shrines or temples I haven't been to before. (0/10)
39. Travel to a new country at least once.
40. Take a small trip overseas (somewhere I've been before but S hasn't been) at least once, thinking Taiwan at the moment.
41. Take a trip to Okinawa.
42. Go to a private onsen with S and the kids at least once every 2 months (excluding months which should be avoided when pregnant) (1/16)
43. Research and drive (by myself) the kids to a park they've never been to before at least 3 times. (0/3)
44. Go and stay at a ryokan at least twice. (0/2)
45. Go and stay with S's cousin and her kids for a couple of days.
46. Get S's cousin and her kids to stay with us for a couple of days.

HEALTH/FITNESS/HOBBIES

47. Get back into yoga. Do a 45 minute session at least once a month for 6 months. (0/6)
48. Read a book about aromatherapy (something online is also ok).
49. Learn how to sew something simple.
50. Sew most things B will need for kindy when he starts going.
51. Start a herb garden.
52. Write in my blog every day for a month
53. Get a professional massage at least once.
54. Become better at giving myself angel card readings.
55. Go to the movies at least twice a year (0/3)
56. Listen to music for at least 30 minutes 4 times a month (1/32 months 5/128 times)
57. Read or reread 4 books in English (0/4)

DURING PREGNANCY

58. Do not insist on doing all household chores.
59. Leave dirty dishes in the sink for S to wash up if I feel it's a strain.
60. Do not feel guilty when I can't cook, and use delivery services.
61. Drink at least 1.5L of water every day while pregnant (no more kidney stones while pregnant for me thanks!lol)
62. Accept all help that is offered during this time.
63. Ask for help even if I think I don't need it.

PURCHASES

64. Buy a breadmaker.
65. Buy a new fridge.
66. Buy double bunks (or possibly double bunks with a trundle bed).
67. Buy a sewing machine.
68. Buy another! car seat.
69. Buy a new tv before 地デジ starts(our tv now is smaller than the computer screen!).

MONEY AND SAVINGS

70. Do and send off our tax returns before the end of February every year. (1/3)
71. Continue with my 家計簿 every month. (1/32)
72. Make a bank book in each child's name.
73. Use this bank book to make an education fund, depositing at least 10,000 yen per child per month.
74. Find out about kiddy insurance and join up B and A.
75. Pay back N the key money for our apartment through English lessons.
76. Get our weekly shopping (groceries only) down to 6000 yen. Adjust to 8000 yen while pregnant and for the first couple of months after giving birth.
77. Update the weekly shopping budget for groceries when baby number 3 starts on solids.
78. Completely pay off the car loan.
79. Put at least 5000 yen away per month for a travel fund. (1/32)


EVENTS

80. Have a proper ひな祭り meal for A every March. (0/3)
81. Do 七五三 for both B and A in November, 2011.
82. Get a professional family photo done for 七五三.
83. Take a family Christmas photo (0/2)
84. Go and do お宮参り and professional photos for Baby Number 3.

AROUND THE HOUSE

85. Make a scratching post for the cat (with S).
86. Organise the balcony so it's exactly how I want it.
87. Organise the kids room so it's easy to clean and keep (relatively!) tidy.
88. Do something about the 押し入れ in our bedroom.
89. Get rid of anything we don't use and is still unpacked after 6 months.
90. Go through all clothes and donate to charity or recycle anything we don't need.

OTHER

91. Start making 年賀状 at the beginning of December every year.
92. File all received 年賀状 by the end of January every year (February for 2010)(0/3)
93. Update how the list is going on my blog at least 6 times (1/6)
94. Change the address on my drivers license.
95. Change the address on the remainder of the bank books.
96. Change the printed address on A's ひまわりカード (the computer record has already been changed)
97. Talk to a complete stranger.
98. Wear a dress or skirt out somewhere at least once.
99. Get regular dental checks, thinking once every 6 months (0/5)
100. Continue to lend money on Kiva whenever the credit balance is enough to do so. Note: Started with 6 loans as at January, 2010.
101. Donate 500 yen to Kiva for every unfinished task at the end of this challenge.

7 件のコメント:

  1. Good luck with your list!!

    I have really enjoyed doing my 101 things in 1001 days - I can't believe though I only have till the end of this year to finish mine. 2.75 years seemed like such a long time when I started it... lol

    返信削除
  2. Great list! I am sure you will enjoy the challenge! I would love to see what you do for scrapbooks for your two little ones- I am going to start working on one for Noah soon.

    I hope you will share your recipes with us! I am always on the look out for new ones.

    One western meal a month? Wow you are good- half of the meals I cook are western and the other half are Japanese/Chinese but the western food definitely makes our food budget go UP. I should really learn to make more Japanese stuff.


    I am with Nay- it seems like just yesterday I started my list and now I have less than a year! With the new baby it doesn`t look like I will get anything crossed off this month really but I have high hopes for the coming months. That said, my Japanese language goals I had are not looking very hopeful at all and I see them getting added to my next list.

    返信削除
  3. What a great list- I almost feel like I could copy and paste a lot of it into make one for myself, lol! good luck with it all. I am interested in seeing your food blogs (of course).

    I would LOVE to go to Taiwan- have been wanting to for years.

    I really admire your money goals - 6000yen a week for groceries?? that is something I need to aspire to (but think it will be impossible, esp when J goes shopping with me as he always wants to put the expensive meat and stuff in the basket, lol) and I def. need to get more focussed on my budget.

    And #98 made me laugh - I put on a (maternity type) dress this week, and K actually asked me "mummy, what is that?" lol.

    返信削除
  4. Thanks for the support everyone!

    tj-injapan: Seriously, why don't you use what you want from this one and make your own list? Would be great if you joined in too, not to mention extremely encouraging. It might even stop me from slacking off!lol

    返信削除
  5. Wow - great list! You sound very motivated! I wish some of it would rub off on me ;-) I am also impressed by 6000 yen for groceries. I would love to get us down to 10,000 a week but it's hard as hub and I basically eat different meals as I am vegetarian and he is a BIG meat eater. DS is a huge fruit eater which doesn't help either but I prefer him eating it to snacky type foods.

    Good luck with it all!

    返信削除
  6. Cool list...I didn't make one because I don't have that much I want to do. I think I am better at sticking to my NY's resolution for 2010, 2.75 years is too long for me to procrastinate, coz I'm a good procrastinator. :)

    You know, the 1.5 litres a day is really good for now. And the more water you drink, the better you will get at angel card readings because, it gets rid of all the toxins and gets your body more in tune with the energy that is coming through. That's why I drink alot of water every day because it really helps!

    A friend of mine has a killer brownie recipe i mean they are to die for, when I see her next I'll ask her for it and send it to you. :)
    Oh, and Yasu makes a killer kara-age if you want the recipe for that. :)

    I'm so surprised you have never made tempura, well it's so easy, so i'm sure you won't have any probs. :)

    You are going to be busy by the looks of things! It's great to have something to aim for, good luck with accomplishing them all! :)

    返信削除
  7. Wow-I'm overwhelmed just reading your list!!! You must enjoy the challenge. I look forward to seeing you achieve your goals.

    Now that I have three kids around I find there is so much this time to do things than before, even simple things like cooking dinner!!! I have a few things that I want to do but can't see them happening yet.

    I am shocked to say the least at your food bill, either you guys eat like birds (no offense) or we are PIGS!!! Hubby and I were spending more than that when it was just 2 of us and now there are 5!! I think I could learn alot from you.

    I hope I can post this tonight!!

    返信削除