So things I have learnt. Would love to do this in point form. Can't seem to find any bullets. Hang on, have I been composing in the wrong part? Just found bullets on another screen!!
So I'm going to try to explain what we do for our daily spending- this is just for food, everyday expenses, toiletries, nappies, kids stuff, and eating out. Rent, insurance, tax, utilities, keitai, medical expenses, savings, car fund (loan and savings for 車検(shaken), insurance and tax) are kept separate and are written down once a month.
- Ok, biggest thing for me is to budget weekly and record from Monday to Sunday. I started off doing it from Sunday to Saturday because that's how the first book I had was set out, but that didn't work! For us anyway. Reason being, we would go out for lunch and do fun things on the Sunday and then nearly half of the weekly budget would be blown on the first day leaving us poor for the rest of the week. Learnt my lesson quick smart.
- No matter what the date is start afresh each Monday and work from there. Sometimes your figures won't be exactly for one month but in the long run it doesn't matter. Some months will have 4 weeks, others 5.
- Write down the name of the shop (abbreviations are also ok) and total of expense. You don't have to write down the price of everything you bought, just make sure you categorize it into food/ household items/other. That's how the book I use is set out so I just stick to the categories they have. At the moment I put groceries in food but eating out and things I don't consider extremely necessary, like a coffee from the coffee shop or donuts or something like that in other. I do this so I can work out how 贅沢(zeitaku) I've been in my spending. Nappies, tissues, pet food and kitty litter would all go into household expenses. It's up to you to decide how you want to categorize things though. Before we had kids I put groceries and eating out in the same category which was fine for us at the time because we were both working and ended up eating out a lot of the time. As an example of how to categorize, say if I bought veges, meat, washing powder, and a present for someone, I would categorize the veges and meat into food, washing powder into household items and the present into others. Then be done with it and throw the receipt away! At one stage I used to just stickytape the receipts into a memo book and add it up each week and not bother with categorizing which worked for a while but I could never figure out EXACTLY where I was spending too much. What was necessary and what was 贅沢.
- I put a set amount of housekeeping money in my wallet and work with that and only that. Depending on what's left on the Sunday we go out for lunch or get takeaway, and I pool anything else leftover. When there's enough there we usually use it to go to an onsen or somewhere. Kind of a ご褒美(gohoubi) for sticking to the budget.
By the way I don't allow for rice in the weekly budget. I haven't always kept it separate, but I have done so for the last couple of years. We usually go through 10kg in about 3 to 4 weeks so I buy that when it's necessary, and just make a note with the date, place of purchase and how much it was to remind myself when I last bought it.
And S gets a weekly allowance so I know how much he uses but we don't record anything in detail. For us it's just easier to get a total figure and leave it at that.
So, that pretty much covers it I think!
Any questions?
Hope I didn't turn anyone off!!!lol



Thanks for sharing how you do it! I need to get better at it- while our budget for now is working well for us I would also like to start recording more about exactly what we spent and on what especially with baby coming so that I can see how much we need to put away each month for baby things like diapers ( i have cloth diapers as well though) etc...
返信削除I might need to get a book! hehe
yay for bullets!
返信削除I am slowly processing your great info...thanks!! I think the key is the weekly budget, right? I have always been trying to do it monthly, and get lost or fogotten half way through. I am gonna start again - on Monday, hehe!
\oh, and throw out the receipts - I like this. I always seem to want to keep them, just in case...
wish me luck!
Ok, after all this talk I just couldn't resist. I now have a new 家計簿 in my hot little hands lol!! And, surprise surprise, it's the one I always get. Ha!ha! It comes with レタスクラブ if anyone's interested. Only 320 yen! Bargain! But be warned, this edition usually sells out pretty quick.
返信削除tj-injapan
Yeah, budgeting weekly is probably the most important thing. It seems to be easier to realize how well (or bad!) you're going, and to do something about it before things get out of hand. Good luck, and would love to hear how you get on with things!
That sounds very similar to the way I used to do the budgeting. Now Yasu does it thankfully (my head is too la-la to do that numbers stuff..) but he still does it very closely to what you do. It's a really good way! We go through a 10kg bag of rice every couple of weeks, and I don't even eat much of it!
返信削除It's a good way of saving money too, and luckily you guys get a reward at the end of it which is a good incentive to keep with the budget :)
ok, I am back with a question - it seems that whenever I think we have got spending under control, a splurge comes along - like today, paying for an indoor play centre for K, carparking, and lunch for us (only at family restaurant, but still.....) I don't eat out with just K during the week, and even took lunch today, but she ate it ALL at 10am when we got there, lol! and this is a once off playdate that we needed to pay for, usually it is free. Sooo, do I just write it up and "get over it", start again fresh next week then? Or do I try to "make up" the spent money by spending less next week so that the monthly budget doesn`t blow??
返信削除I used to be good with budgeting and saving, but then with kids, moving house, wanting maternity clothes - I just seem to be spending and spending at the moment. I keep on thinking it will stop once we get through this period, but I am wondering if I have just lost it.
So, sensei, any advice?
Kelly
返信削除The reward at the end is what keeps me going I think!!
tj-injapan
In the book I use there's another section for 'special expenses' which you add up once a month. It's for unexpected expenses and things that don't belong in the categories in the weekly budget. Very 便利! So if that was me I'd tally up whatever I spent on the playdate (including everything you mentioned, even food) and put it in the 'special expenses' column, with the date and the total amount spent. Then add it up at the end of the month. That way it comes out of the monthly budget, not your weekly one.
So really you have 2 budgets to work with. The Monday to Sunday budget is mainly for food and household items, whereas the monthly budget is for everything. Not sure if I'm being clear here? Maybe you should buy the magazine after all!Ha!ha!
This is all really interesting!! None of my friends budget back home but then again none of them are living on one income either!!
返信削除My husband deposits money into my account each month and that is all the money that I have so I just manage from week to week on a set amount so there is money left at the end of the month. I buy all food, household stuff and pressie to send home for birthdays and Christmas, hubby does everthing else. He is great at not spending money so it is better that he keeps the 'bigger budget' going and not me. 3 years in a row he has managed to make an extra large payment on our house loan and he hopes to do that each year until it is finished (he likes seeing how much he has saved!!) I on the other hand would just love to buy some extra things now so I too have been watching how I spend my money lately to see where I can save, but there is no where :(
Keep up the hints, I'm listening!
thanks, sensei! I am going to incorporate the special expenses category into my 家計棒 (on the comp - it adds up the amounts automatically, otherwise I would never know how much spent, as I am good at data imput, but doing something with it myself is my downfall. I love Excel sheets for this reason too, if that makes any sense??)
返信削除although I can already see that all my 贅沢 spending will end up in this special expenses section, hahah!