2009年12月10日木曜日

The moving diaries

Part 1 Tuesday 1st December

Unfortunately it's going to take another 10 days or so til we can use the net again so this post is going to be in diary form.
Is that even a form? Uh oh, better not let it slip that I minored in English Literature at uni! Nobody would ever believe me!! lol
Sorry, I digress.

I can't believe it's been over a week since we moved.
Time flies when you're having fun, hey.
Well finding new homes for everything has been fun, and the little walks we've been going on too.
But the rest of it?
Packing, lifting, pulling tables and things apart, more lifting, putting things back together, and unpacking come into an entirely different category.
Especially when you're the one doing 95% of it. Possibly more.

The first few days after moving are just a blur- S back at work and me unpacking pretty much covers it.
We were absolutely exhausted for days. Still recovering actually.

Ok, so the actual move.
We knew things wouldn't be done in a flash, but even so everything took a LOT longer than expected to do.
Mainly because B and A needed constant attention. And I stress constant.
A was teething (3 at once, poor kid!) and had no cot so I had to おんぶ her while trying to stop B and the cat escaping from the open front door all day long.
Cleaning, vacuuming, and moving boxes with what felt like a 10kg bag of rice strapped on my back for hours on end was NOT fun at all I'm afraid.
No more exercise for me this year I think!lol

S's parents came and helped on one of the days so FIL helped S carry all the heavy stuff (sofa, fridge, bed, cot, washing machine). S and I did everything else over the next couple of days. In the end (on the 3rd day no less!) my friend Y offered to look after the troublesome two which was a great help, and all belongings, furniture, people and animals got moved.

Things have settled down pretty quickly, and I'm already loving all the extra space.
We've been and done the neigbourly 挨拶 (aisatsu), given the obligatory washing powder, with some 柿 (kaki) or permissons thrown in for good measure.



Part 2 Wednesday 2nd December

Still rearranging furniture and trying to get organized.
The kids have been going to bed earlier and getting up earlier than they used to which is a good thing.
Must be the quiet.

Part 3 Thursday 10th December

We finally have been connected!!!!!!!!!!
Yay, yay and more yay!
Talk about a saga and a half!!!
Am dying to catch up on blog reading but that might take a few more days I think. lol

5 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Kel, welcome back to the "real world" (lol). The move sounds like hard work - I can't belive you onbu'd A while unpacking and cleaning..your poor back. Hope you get a bit of R and R in now. Glad you are connected and hopefully a bit settled now.

    返信削除
  2. and I had to laugh about trying to keep B and the cat indoors. I can vividly imagine it (or should I say me doing a similar thing with our dog and daughter- I don't know which one is faster!!)

    返信削除
  3. Hey nice to see you again if only for one post! Glad to hear you're surviving over there :)

    返信削除
  4. Nice to see you blogging again! Internet downtime is always a bummer but glad you got it up and running reasonably fast.

    Must be nice to be all moved in now- I think we need pictures of the new place!

    返信削除
  5. tj-injapan
    You know the onbu and chasing B and the cat was so much more physically (and mentally!!) exhausting than the rest of the move! And my back hasn't been the same since! lol

    Kelly
    Yes wer'e surviving over here, if only just!

    Lulu
    Pictures, hey. Hmmm....
    Still have to figure that part of blogging out it seems. Ha!ha! Maybe in a few weeks time. All the best for the healthy and safe arrival of Gomachan btw!

    返信削除